The Lighthouse at Trinity Buoy Wharf
Located deep within the Docklands, where the River Lea meets the River Thames, lies London’s only lighthouse. Built in 1864-66, the purpose of the lighthouse was originally as a testing venue for new types of lamps and lighthouse technology. At one time even Michael Faraday, one of the most influential scientists of all time, carried out experiments in the lighthouse. In fact, Faraday’s only invention ever to be patented – a new type of chimney designed to stop lamp gases combusting – was designed in this very place.